Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Another Rainy Country-Tuesday


I read a review on Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s earlier today that described them as, “making depression danceable.”

And it got me thinking… I know people get seasonal depression during the winter, but sometimes I feel like I’ve got that with the spring. I’m a winter guy. Winter means snow and snowboarding and comfortable temperatures and low humidity and feeling accomplished when I leave work and it’s dark. Spring means awkward temperatures and humidity and torrential downpours of cold rain and driving into the sun in the morning and driving into the sun at night. And on an especially rainy country-Tuesday, it's even worse.

But far more than any perceived seasonal depression is this idea that music can be so emotive as to make you want to dance while depressed. Or, perhaps, another band/song could make you want to cry while happy.

Music facilitates complex emotions that don’t make sense out of the context of music.

And that’s why it’s so important; it makes us feel these emotions that society tries to obfuscate.

With the example of Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s, you’ve got this band that you can hear hitting rock bottom. They make you desperate for them. You want to help them, but you don’t want them to stop. They make you dismally reflective, but give you that urge to move your feet. One moment you want to belt out lyrics along with them, but the next you are soaking it all in and absorbed in the music.

And you can’t escape those feelings. They set their hook and lure you captive, sending shivers down your spine. And maybe it’s that you want to be there, in that place, or maybe it’s that you can’t will yourself away. It’s when the music is taking hold. Let it in.

 

P.S. I just discovered that their next album is out on April 22… Preorder it.

3 comments:

  1. I have got to declare that it really is one of the most worthwhile information I have actually study. It is also expertly printed. I am and French teacher so I know what I suggest. http://www.waiometra.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sharing your blog, I am almost done with watching Dynasty, and it is a real good show to watch. https://www.axiflow.co.in/product/lateral-flow-membrane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and amazing blog. I am glad to know that the article is really very good. Some people visited to here in the post review is very good. Thanks for sharing in the post. keep it up. https://www.anandahomes.in/turnkey-construction-delhi-gurgaon/

    ReplyDelete